I’m a member of a number of LinkedIn VO groups, and in one of them, someone asked how they could tell if they would be successful at VO.
And before I could answer with my ideas, a guy named Dave Wallace pointed the poster to seven great questions to ask before jumping into VO as a career.
Here they are.
And by the way, they are from Dave’s FAQ page on his site, davewallacevo.com.
- Have you received any kind of training from a VO coach?
- If not, do you have any sort of acting experience?
- Do you have any professionally-produced demos?
- Do you have a home studio set up?
- How extensive is your audio editing knowledge?
- How extensive is your marketing knowledge?
- How extensive is your knowledge of running a small business?
And Dave says, “…by the way, ‘I don’t have experience in this,’ is an acceptable answer to any of these questions…just know that you’re gonna have some learning to do if you intend to be successful…”
All of these things have to be dealt with at some point or another in your VO journey.
(And I’m a bit relieved that I don’t have any holes in the VO2GoGo class curriculum – we train people in every single one of these 7 basic needs…and 29 others.)
Where do you think your biggest challenge is? Join in the conversation below.
Hope this helps.